As in the case of telephony, (where it evolved from audio to video telephony), podcast have followed suit. Video podcasts are also known as vidcasts, videocasts, vodcasts. A video podcast is a combination of audio files and visual media. Some people prefer video podcasts over audio-only, while others prefer the audio over visuals. Visualizing the speaker in your mind is sometimes more creative and some podcast listeners prefer this. Video podcasts do not have much difference in use when compared to audio podcasts. You can subscribe, download and save a podcast for the future when you don’t have the time and can also listen to a vidcast when doing other activities. It is, however, most ideal for businesses who have cut down costs in marketing and advertising by using the vidcast.
It is important for any consumer to see the end product being advertised and get a visual. This way the cost of printing is cut down and profit margins increased.
How does it work?
There is different user-friendly software that has made it easy to create a video podcast in this day and age. Here are the simple steps one can follow-:
- Take a film of your video
- Upload the video to your computer
- Use video editing software to add effects, correct any background noise you want to clip out and of course play with different light effects to get the best result.
- Choose whether your video will be in the live streaming category or downloadable, also ensure that it is the right size for online viewing.
- Determine a host for the video and ensure the host can accommodate your video’s bandwidth.
- Promote your video podcast the same way you would promote the usual audio podcast.
Some hosts offer only weekly podcast features and video podcasts, depending on how often you would want to create it.
There are situations where an audio podcast is ideal and a video podcast is preferred. The audio podcast is easier to set up, cheaper, covers a wider market and is accepted by most podcast directories and apps. Here are some of the factors you should consider before creating a new video podcast.
Advantages of a video podcast
- Easy communication for visual subjects and objects– This works perfectly with “how-to” videos that offer detailed solutions to problems.
- On-screen aids – This helps in the accessibility of the podcast as well as directs the user to the most recent podcasts released and the most popular.
- Free hosting on YouTube.
- SEO on YouTube.
- Costly for high quality
- Production is more complicated as compared to audio. You have to ensure the audio and video components move hand in hand when the video is playing along with other effects that will not make it look like a low-quality production.
- Low coverage when compared to the audio podcast.
- Not all podcast apps and directories give it support.
As much as video podcast has its limitations, there is a great potential for it being one of the best forms of communication and marketing in the near future.